Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Monday, August 1, 2016

Fall Racing Schedule

So many races in our area, so little time. The competition for attracting runners is heating up. This Wednesday (Wednesday of all days!) there are three local races. Saturday, August 13, there are 6 races, one of which is a Rochester Runner of the Year Race (Bergen 5k).

I'm not sure how well all of these races do financially, but if they keep holding them year after year I guess the race organizers must be happy with the final results. I know sometimes scheduling of parks, lodges, schools and wherever else a race is held can be difficult. Some newbie race directors just don't know any better or won't listen to people with experience, even the timing companies. Those are the races that usually die after a year or two.

In September there is a 5k race in my hometown. I considered doing it for about 2 minutes. It's $25 to register and prizes are given in only three age groups, to first place only, with the oldest group 40+. That is crazy. I seldom win an age group award, but it's nice to have a chance. Usually there is a big difference between a 40 year old runner and 55+ runner. I also worry about races that don't tell you who the timing company is. One, you don't know if the results can be trusted, will be available fairly quickly or the course is accurate. Two, the race loses out on a lot of publicity the timing company would provide through their web site. It makes no sense.

My tentative racing schedule is;

August 13: The Bergen 5k (RROY race)
September 5:  Maybe? (Summerfest 5k@Mendon Ponds, a Fleet Feet race)
October 15: Finish Strong 15k (RROY race)
October 22: Scare Brain Cancer Away 5k (RROY race)
November 5: East Avenue Grocery Run 5k (RROY race) I skipped this race last year and it cost me a top five finish for the year in RROY.
November 24: Race with Grace 10k (RROY). A tradition in our home. I may also be the youngest runner in a new age group for this race, with a birthday 2 days prior to the race. 

Let's hope we all stay healthy and can race well!

2 comments:

Andrea said...

I think this will be my next upcoming race. Who doesn't want to run for moonshine? (Your calendar is crazy busy!) :)

http://bootlegger5k.com/birmingham-metro2016/

Anonymous said...

Bootlegger sounds like a fun race. And I've only raced 2x this year, so I guess making up for that in October.