Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Friday, October 14, 2016

New Bike or Assault Vehicle?

This is the bike Jan Fredeno won the Ironman World Championship race with on October 8, 2016. He averaged over 24mph for the 112 miles. It's pretty bizarre looking to me. I'm not sure why you would want to go from the top bars down to the lower bars for braking and I'm assuming shifting?

Fredeno finished the race in a record 8:06, winning by 3+ minutes. His 4:29 bike split was not the fastest of the day. Four men beat him on the bike, but he ran a 2:45 marathon to seal the race. Fredeno also tied for the fastest swim, 48:02 for 2.4 miles.

Amazing splits, but I'm really interested in the bike. It almost seems like there needs to be more regulations on the style, weight, and components of the bikes to make it a more fair event. I'm of the opinion that money can buy speed, especially on the bike, and this can be an unfair advantage. These men and women wouldn't spend (or get sponsored to ride) a bike costing over $10,000 if it didn't give them an advantage in the race.

You can't make everyone ride the exact same bike, but other than weight it seems like more rules need to be put in place. The advantage is more pronounced in the age group amateur categories. There have been a few races where I've passed someone using a lighter bike with Zipp wheels, but that is really rare, actually extraordinarily rare. Normally I hear them coming up from behind like they are riding a train on tracks and blow by like I'm standing still.

Let me know your opinion on this. Maybe I have it all wrong?

1 comment:

Andrea said...

It looks very boxy like, which doesn't make me think aerodynamic. Like the boxy cars, which I don't like at all.