Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Friday, December 16, 2016

Test Your Strength & Longevity

This link will take you to an article on 10 Things Every Lifter Should Be Able to Do, by Dan John. No, that isn't a photograph of me leading off the story, but thanks for asking.

I can do a few of the exercises and will try a few of the other tests during the next month.
What I can do;
1. Bench my bodyweight.
3. Hold a two minute plank.
6. Balance on one foot for 10 seconds ( I actually practice this). I think you should be able to do this with you eyes closed, which I struggle with at times.
9. 30 second bodyweight squat and hold.

What I can't do;
2. Deadlift double my weight. I haven't tried this exercise in years.
4. Sleep with only one pillow. I always use two. I can breathe better with two pillows and it helps with acid reflux. At least that's my excuse.
5. Sit down on floor without using hands, knees or shins. My doctor had me do this the last time I had a physical. I couldn't get back up without using a hand either. Supposedly this particular exercise is a strong indicator of how long you will live. I'm going to work on this exercise. Use this video if you need a demonstration of technique.
7. Hang for 30 seconds and do a pull-up. Repeat if you can, without letting go, up to 10x. Most people can't do 10 of them, or even one or two. I will try this test over the weekend.
8. Long jump my height. Seems like I should be able to, but have no idea. Another one to do soon.
10. Farmer's walk my bodyweight. I don't own enough weight to do this.

No comments: