Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Friday, March 31, 2017

Spring: Where Are You My Old Friend?

Here's hoping the new colors of my blog help to push in the spring season in Western New York. I don't mind riding my bike in the basement but it would be nice to get outside a couple of days a week.

We should feel lucky that only 1-2" of rain is falling in the 35-42 degree temperatures. The Adirondacks and New England are getting anything from freezing rain to 12" of snow. I truly would be depressed if that happened to us. My Southern Comfort supply is not adequate enough to make it through another snowstorm, wind storm or massive electric outage.

This morning I was at a committee meeting at work. I walked in when a couple of professors were discussing how they don't exercise due to time constraints and other excuses. I stayed quiet and listened and tried to be non-judgmental. Then one of the professors looked me over and asked if I was "one of those people" (the kind that worked out). I'm hoping she thought despite the face of an old man my body looked like it was possible I did exercise. I'm taking it as a positive that there wasn't an immediate vocal display of shock when I said I did.

I mentioned that my wife and I were training for a half-ironman as a couple of other people walked in the room. That got everyone's attention, which actually was nice. A few questions about what the race distance was and my history followed. I really wasn't trying to impress anyone, but honestly I kind of enjoyed some of the attention. After three months of the majority of my running on indoor tracks or treadmills and riding in the basement conversing with "average" people about my activities felt nice.

Training for an event that is personally challenging, whatever the distance, can be mentally as well as physically draining. I seldom talk about what I'm doing unless asked, that can quickly get boring to a listener. It is nice when a person is genuinely interested though. And who knows, maybe we serve as an inspiration?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mike, you provide inspiration, as well as perspiration, to many.