Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Judgment Day at the Dentist

I've had regular attendance at dentist's offices since before getting braces in the sixth grade. It's an important part of being healthy, but I'm kind of tired of going. The week before my teeth cleaning appointment is similar to tapering for a race. Did I brush enough? Maybe I should floss more than once a day? Do I need to use a mouth rinse more? Will the hygienist admonish me for not taking better care of my teeth?  The day of my dental appointment is worse. What should I eat? Do I skip the coffee? If I brush and floss right before driving to the dental office will it make my teeth shine?

I actually received some positive feedback from the hygienist at yesterday's appointment. But what is going on with the up-selling? I felt like I was in a running retail store. "Do you need socks with that new pair of $120 shoes you just bought? How about our new energy drink? Shorts? Hey, we have this top on sale, it would look great on you!" Suddenly you just spent $250.

The hygienist asked if I wanted some special mouth cavity search to look for oral cancer with a new tool they have, but it's not covered by insurance, $25-30. I declined. Later she wanted me to buy a "special" mouth rinse that would kill more germs, $30-45. I declined. She pushed that one a couple of times, I can only imagine what the markup is. Jamie was a nice, competent hygienist, but she made sure to let the dentist know I wouldn't be buying the extras, so he could give a little push. Of course if my teeth start to rot out in a year I'll regret not paying for the rinse and test.

When did dentists start taking your blood pressure, and why? Of course mine was higher than normal, someone is about to stick their hands and assorted sharp instruments in my mouth, no, I'm okay, really.

My next appointment is in eight months. Does anyone really know what they are doing in eight months on a specific day and time? (maybe if you are training for an IM, but otherwise, no). Sure, put in the book, what difference does it make. You'll call me twice, send me a postcard, text my wife (3x, but not me), so I think we will figure this out. Meanwhile I'm going to begin feeling anxious over my next race.



3 comments:

Andrea said...

Haha, we are complete opposites! I love going to the dentist and was worried they forgot to send me a reminder text this time. If I could go every week I would! As long as they promise to drill without using needles :)

Mike said...

I would never give in to that sort of pressure. And I have the water pick and electric toothbrush to prove it. Yes, bought at the dentist. I got a rebate.

Mike said...

I would never give in to that sort of pressure. And I have the water pick and electric toothbrush to prove it. Yes, bought at the dentist. I got a rebate.