Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Icebergs in Mirror Lake?

Race morning for our Lake Placid 70.3 jaunt was a bit on the cold side. Only thirty-eight degrees when we were setting up our gear in transition. Brrr. After months of being worried about heat, especially on the run, we got just the opposite, a beautiful, but chilly, race day.

Mirror Lake had cooled off from 70 two weeks prior to 61 on race morning. Jan and I went out and bought booties, which in our practice sessions worked great. After much planning I went to get dressed for the race and couldn't find my swim cap. Panic quickly overtook me as I ran back to transition. I couldn't find it. It wasn't anywhere in the house we rented. What to do? Jan and I went to the race start early to try and get a replacement but couldn't. I was really worried I would be disqualified right at the start. I ended up being the only swimmer with a blue cap, but they let me in the water.

I had a great swim, actually enjoying myself, passing people, feeling good, getting rid of my pre-race anxiety. It's amazing what training and adrenaline can do. Then we came out of the cold water into 20 degree colder air. It was brutal. Mistake one was taking off my wetsuit before the long run/walk to transition. Now I only had on small tri shorts. Transition took forever, I think it was the same for many people who were trying to dry off and get warm enough for the bike leg. Mistake two was not planning ahead and changing from wet, cold shorts to bike pants. Mistake three was not having another layer on my top. Mistake four was thinking winter bike gloves would be enough, they weren't. I was worried about heating up too much later on the bike. I should have been more worried about freezing going downhills.

Jan Swim
Long story - but I dropped out after only 3 miles on the bike. I was frozen, hands were numb, I couldn't hold the bike going down little hills and didn't want to risk the 7 miles down to Keene.

Congratulations to Mike W, Eileen W and Jan (my wife), who not only put up with me, but completed the IM 70.3! They were awesome. The temperature didn't really go up until the run when it hit about 60+ degrees. 


Jan at Finish
Jan Bike
Mike W Bike
 

Eileen Finish
Special thanks to the Katz's for volunteering at the swim session for several hours. I think they got colder than any of us. Also - these photographs are under copyright. I did purchase a photo from Finisherpix. 

3 comments:

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Ouch! I read your story to my wife... She feels for you. Dropping out of a race that you trained so hard for has got to be tough. I have been worried every time my wife runs a late autumn marathon. They are so cold... even for me as a spectator. I can only imagine how those runners do it in shorts and tank-top.

Cheryl insists that running in the cold is preferable to running in the heat though. I have run at all ranges... and I know that biking in the cold is tough on the fingers. Better luck next time. They will always be other races.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I agree with your wife, running in cold is easier than the heat/humidity. I think the cold water sucked out too much of my body heat and I couldn't warm up in transition. At least I enjoy the training (usually) and had a good time otherwise in LP.

Mike said...

It stinks when you have to drop out of a race. Maybe some day I will tell you about my experience at Tupper Lake. We had a great time training and thanks to you and you superior lodging procurement skills had a good weekend in the mountains. I feel for the people running the Rochester Marathon in the heat this weekend.