Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Thursday, October 26, 2017

Life as an injured runner



Fall is a time of crawling under a pile of blankets to sleep and waking up refreshed and ready to emerge from my cocoon.

I wait all year to run in the crisp, cool air of October and November, only to injure my Plantar Fascia.

Two days after registering for a 5k and 10k race my foot became sore enough that I’ve only run a mile in the last week. That’s what I get for pre-registering.

Rolling my foot on top of a tennis ball seems to be the best therapy. I don’t leave home without it. The ball sits on my desk at work and I use it 2-3x a day. 

Most of my exercise now consists of swimming 2-3x a week and lifting weights. I’ve biked a few times, but not fast enough or long enough to really call it a workout. If the injury keeps up I should look like a fat Incredible Hulk in a month. 

The Incredible Hulk can’t run very fast though. 

I need to get my bike on the trainer and start pedaling. 

I’m an okay injured runner for about two days, then the crankiness begins to come through. I start feeling fat, bloated, out of breath when walking up a flight of stairs and thinking that drinking isn’t such a bad sport.  

It’s amazing how much time I have to clean the house, fix things and go through my job jar. I’ve accomplished more in the last two weeks then the previous two months. 

I’d rather spend that time running.

3 comments:

The Great Ethan Allen said...

Living with a broken runner is no picnic. My wife has Finally healed up enough to run a few miles. She is no where near her "Marathon Ready" condition. And there is always the chance it will flare up again ( hip flexor)

I had a bad case of Plantar Fasciitis in the Army. And it flares up occasionally. I found changing shoes helps for the chronic stuff. And it helped when I quit running on gravel! ( Stupid Army First Sargent.. but that is another story) I never tried the "coke bottle" or tennis ball method. Hope it helps... I know how you runners get when you can't run. ( scary!)

JoLo said...

Ahhhh...."It’s amazing how much time I have to clean the house, fix things and go through my job jar. I’ve accomplished more in the last two weeks then the previous two months." Jan...are you at the bottom of this injury?? :)

Annoymouse said...

It may be time to consider an orthotic.