Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Monday, October 2, 2017

Pre-Race Caffeine?

There have been many scientific experiments regarding the effect of caffeine on athletes. Despite these studies one's own personal experiences generally determine whether you believe caffeine is necessary prior to a workout or race. Runner's World 2017.


I am a caffeine user. Judging by my ever slowing race pace over the years it probably doesn't matter if I drink a cup of tea or coffee before a race or not. There are times I'm so anxious before a race that I can't even finish eight ounces of coffee. I think it's out of habit, the hope that it helps my body wake-up and become regular (i.e. bathroom) that drives my usage. The argument can be made that the caffeine makes me seek out a port-a-pot too often before a race to make drinking a cup useless.

When I get up before work to lift weights I'll definitely take a mug of coffee with me to the basement. At least then bathroom concerns are alleviated since I'm still home. The same is true when I do an early morning indoor bike ride. A water bottle is on the bike and the coffee mug is on a stool next to me. 

Wondering what kind of coffee to drink? Check out this Runner's World article.





1 comment:

lou said...

I want the coffee Jack Nicholson drank in "The Bucket List", Kopi Luwak