Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Friday, June 5, 2015

McMullen Mile - Day of Race Thoughts

The annual Charlie McMullen mile is tonight. The elite men's race has pacers and invited runners in an attempt to break the four minute mile. I don't have to worry about that race, all I need to do is watch and cheer.
Jan and I will be in earlier heats trying hard not to run so slowly that we get lapped. I found out on Monday the race would be this week (Friday) instead of the originally scheduled June 12th date. It's probably best to get it over with, though there was a lot of hemming and hawing on my part before registering for the race.
I have a few pre-race thoughts;

1. I hope my mile time trial Monday night on the wet canal path isn't a true predictor of my race time tonight.
2. Physically it's great to be able to think I'm able to even consider running an all-out mile. Mentally it's tough realizing a great race tonight will give me a time I used to run for every mile in a 10k.
3. Based on pre-registrations I should be in the top 3 or 4 of my age group, Jan the same. Great, right? Of course right now there are only 3-4 in our age groups. I hope seven more fast guys don't show up and register to race tonight, I want the Runner of the Year points!
4. I should run a mile time trial once a month. The mile is a great way to test your fitness and mental toughness. If I ran it more often maybe I wouldn't be so nervous about the mile.
5. Two hours after I registered online the weather forecast for tonight changed. The temperature prediction went up to 78, dew point is higher and now the possibility of a thunderstorm. These are not ideal racing conditions.
6. The mile is a painful race. The first quarter is usually too fast and I go through wondering if I'm going to die. The second quarter I get back to my goal pace, hopefully not much slower and blowing the race. At the beginning of the third quarter the pain usually really begins. Breathing becomes difficult, legs might begin to tie up a bit. When there's about 500 to go though I realize I will make it, maybe not as fast as I would have liked, but if I grit it out still a good race. With 400 to go, the gun lap you always try to pick it up. I usually think I am, but really probably just hanging on. With 200 to go I'll try to sprint to the finish, glad it's all over.
7. Will the bear come out? Of course, there is no way I'll be able to breathe normally. Jan will laugh, along with some other spectators. A few people might wonder if the old man is going to die.
8. One of my best all-time races was a 1500 meter run on snowshoes around a 300 meter "track" in the Adirondack mtn's for the Empire State Games. With 500 meters to go I finally took off and was able to earn my first medal, a bronze, but still it meant a lot to me. I want to run like that tonight. I want to be proud of my effort no matter what the final time is.
9. Nutrition is tough today. Jan and I won't be racing until around 7pm. We can't eat a dinner without bad results, either spending pre-race time in the bathroom or getting physically ill after the race. I think it's all Hammer products until our races are completed.
10. Predictions - Jan 8:32, me 6:48.


No comments: