Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Monday, January 18, 2016

It's just a dream...maybe?

My left knee has been in pain since I fell while running more than three weeks ago. Since then I have been doctoring myself with ice, Advil or Aspirin, mild stretching, wearing a knee brace sometimes, rest and elevation. The pain has subsided somewhat and I've been able to bike indoors, swim and lift weights (upper body).

Two nights ago I woke up from a weird dream. In the dream my sister-in-law, a long time nurse, was asking Amanda, my EMT daughter, to get her a Bic style pen. Patty took my knee and jammed the pen into it. I could see the pen go under my skin, make a big hole and immediately yelled in pain. Patty was poking and prodding into my knee and telling me to calm down, be a man and stop with the noise.

Next she asked Amanda to get her an x-acto knife. Evidently Patty was going to dig into my ligament a bit with the knife. When she took out the Bic pen and came after me with the knife I thankfully woke up. My knee did feel better than it had in a couple of weeks when I began walking downstairs. Usually I had to take one step at a time or go down sideways to avoid the pain. That morning, after the "surgery", I was able to walk straight down the stairs.

I also ran two miles, albeit slowly, at the track that day and another mile the next day, on the treadmill. It was the first time I had been able to run two consecutive days since pre-injury.

Maybe it wasn't a dream after all?

No comments: