Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Too Old to Wear? Ten rules to go by

Every runner/triathlete signs up for a race wondering what the official "free" race shirt will look like. We've all received shirts that go straight to the car or bike washing pile. Reasons for this include the color, the fit, a badly organized race you don't want to advertise, or you ran poorly.


I have another rule, if I pre-register for a race but don't run it, usually due to an injury, I won't wear the shirt. The same is true if I DNF. I just don't want all the questions about the race and then have to explain why I really didn't do it. I also don't get people who wear the race shirt during that race. That's just wrong to me. The shirt should be worn later, after completing the event. If it's a big race, like a marathon or long triathlon and you go out at night it's a badge of honor. Save the shirt for some bragging rights.

Eventually you reach into your shirt drawer and put on one of your favorite shirts. Of course today is a good day to wear this shirt, it still fits well, no stains, no embedded stink, so pull it over your head and be proud. Except then you look down and see the shirt is at least ten years old!

This shirt is from my 2005 Steamtown Marathon, a race where once again I failed to make the Boston qualifying standard by less than 5 minutes. A bad habit of mine. I found the shirt buried in my drawer a couple of weeks ago and began wearing it a bit. I like the sleeves, not short but not too long. But 2005? This shirt is 12 years old. I don't keep shirts for work longer than 2-3 years. 

There must be rules for tossing out race shirts, maybe ten of them? 

1.  Are there food or drink stains on the shirt that won't come out in the wash? Automatic rag pile. 
2. Did the shirt go through the wash, even with super power detergent, and keep a body odor smell?  Toss in the garbage. 
3. Are the colors too weird for the general public? I have a Marine Corps Marathon long sleeve shirt that is bright gold/yellow. A really nice thick material shirt, but it's kind of too flashy for wearing outside of the house. 
4. Did your significant other just say, "oh, you're wearing that shirt again?". Toss it. 
5. Does the design seem better for a younger generation person to wear? I did have, until recently, a tie-dyed shirt. I wore it a couple of times before realizing I'm 60, not 19, and the tie-dye look doesn't go well with me. 
6. I get it. You have an emotional attachment to the race, and the shirt keeps that memory alive. It was a hard race, or your longest or fastest or first time at that distance. Eventually it has to go though.
7. Everyone needs a pj top. Old race shirts are perfect for lazing around the house at night while watching tv or reading a book. But only until the dessert stains don't come out. Then garbage time!
8. Your significant other says, "Absolutely NO. You are  not wearing that thing out to dinner!" (much more vociferously than #4's passive-aggressive approach).
9. You have gained weight and the shirt no longer fits. Or you lost weight and it's baggy.
10. It's just old. Twelve years for my Steamtown shirt? Is that really relevant anymore? It may be time to let it go.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I threw out all my shirts with stains, I'd be shirtless. 2 year rule, then donated to the church bin. Unless a special shirt for all the listed reasons.

Annoymouse said...

Save marathon shirts, you worked so hard to earn them. Save shirts from popular races that have been discontinued Spencerport Canal days, Avon root beer run, Corn hill 10k etc. Save shirts that have history like second Lilac 10k, 2nd Wineglass, first Fairport Firecracker etc. Worse shirt ever 1979 or 80 Lake Ontario Marathon this short lived shirt style actually only came down to halfway between the breast and belly button.

Mike said...

Like you said some shirts age better than others. Some get that vintage look with faded lettering and stay soft forever. I just go by looks and feel. Success at the race doesn't matter. I wear Yankees stuff and never played for them. My 100th Anniversary Boston shirt has never been worn. All white with gold lettering. Maybe one of my kids will dig it up one day and remember when their Dad was crazy.

Anonymous said...

I still have the Steamtown shirt. Couldn't part with it quite yet and it's in pretty good shape.

Andrea said...

Wait...have your children become your race shirt "trash can"? I have a couple of your old race shirts...and I break one of your rules and wear them despite the fact I didn't run in the race.