Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Mulligrubs


My favorite new word, from the Oxford English Dictionary “word of the day” on Twitter. Mulligrubs – A state of depression; low spirits. Also: a bad temper or mood. 

It’s highly possible I’ve been fighting the mulligrubs for several months. Coming off three months in late 2017 without being able to run due to injury, it was tough to get going again in the depths of winter. I was hesitant about running on snowy roads. I switched between the treadmill, running on a short indoor track and outdoors. My original goals for early 2018 seemed to be slipping away. My running pace was abhorrent, at least a minute slower per mile for any distance even when compared to 2017. 

In late February the weather changed drastically (for the better) and I actually got outside more. Hope entered my mind. Then March came along, colder, snowier, and windier than any March in recent history. I went further down into mulligrubs. 

Sure, there were some positives. I lost 9-10 pounds, which was desperately needed. I still have to get at least five more pounds off, and they aren’t letting go easily. It’s now early April, the weather still sucks and spring is just a dream. A six mile run is long for me and my pace is still sloth-like.
I am physically fit, especially for an old man. I do some running, biking (indoors), swimming and weightlifting. I’m happy to be fairly healthy and able to do the activities I enjoy. But I am not race ready, not even close. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be able to run a decent race again. 

We are fortunate to have an active running community with many opportunities to race on roads or trails. I constantly look at race calendars and think, yeah, I should sign up now for that race. I could finish a sprint triathlon right now, today, after work. Finish, yes, compete, even against previous times of mine, no.So why bother planning ahead and spending the money? 

I hope the sun and warmth come back to western NY and my mulligrubs disappear and real training begins.

2 comments:

Mike said...

We are all getting older. No more comparing race times to younger selves. Pointless. Run, bike, swim until you can't or don't want to. Train as hard as you want which can vary day to day. You were smart with your injuries and it will pay off when we get back to training.

Eileen Weinpress said...

Hang in there! The sun is going to come out, and we'll all get out running again. Once those happy brain chemicals get flowing, everything will feel better!