Sal's

Running, Biking, Swimming, Triathlons, Snowshoeing: what's next? Sal's kicks butt.

Monday, April 16, 2018

Des Linden

Des Linden won the Boston marathon today, battling opponents as well as a strong headwind and light-heavy rain for the entire race. She came from 30 seconds behind to take the lead around 22 miles.
Des even slowed down around the twelve mile point to wait for fellow runner Shalane Flanagan, who needed a port-a-potty stop. Des wanted to help pace Shalane back to the lead group of ten women. She didn't feel well herself at that time and thought she might be dropping out soon, so why not wait?
Evidently Des's training really kicked in and she was able to claw her way to the victor's stand.
This is a quote I found on Twitter from Des;


 I think many of us can identify with these feelings. It's nice to hear a world class runner saying it. Des become the first American woman to win the race in 33 years. Hey, she's even a coffee aficionado, whiskey connoisseur, and book nerd.What's not to like?

2 comments:

The Great Ethan Allen said...

My wife heard the news over lunch. I actually saw her last year at the start line. Don't get me wrong, I never want to go back to Boston... But Cheryl says she might want to vindicate herself someday. She ( my wife, the runner) is very excited for Des today. GO USA! One final note: The US and Canada almost swept the top ten female finishers. Must be that cold and windy northern air...

Anonymous said...

After several qualifying attempts I finally succeeded and ran Boston, 1996, the 100th anniversary. I've never been able to qualify since. Seems like 19 marathons is enough, it's not my distance. Good luck to your wife, I can understand her motivation to qualify again.